● Rwanda existed as a centralized monarchy under the succession of kings, in 1899 became Germany colony, in 1919 became a mandate territory of the league of nations under Belgium rule. Rwanda achieved its independence in 1962.
● Ndi Umunyarwanda (I am Rwandan) is the first thing you get to know once you come to Rwanda. This is an initiated program to build a sense of national identity based on trust and dignity.
● Rwandans have some unique greetings like shaking hands after a hug.
● They don’t like eye contact especially women.
● Sometimes they are indirect in communication, they will not explicitly say what they want to say and they will expect the listeners to get what they mean.
● It’s improper and unacceptable for young people to address older people by first names.
● Rwandans place a lot of value on physical appearance and people will be treated depending on their dressing code, most of the times.
● Rwandans are very hospitable in their home. They show it by giving you a lot of food and offering you with meals/beverages upon a visit.
● In terms of transportation, many people use buses and moto bikes to get around both in kigali and outside.
● Rwandans are clean. It be in the surrounding and attires.